Thursday 27 August 2015

Jill Calder I



With clever and dramatic use of contrasting colour combined with dynamic mark-making and line, Jill Calder's illustrations for the brutal historical story of 'Robert the Bruce are stunning, eye catching compositions. 
This is another book that threw itself at me from the shelves of the Edinburgh International Book Festival.
"I wanted to create a book that would appeal to adult's as well as children . . . I was quite nervous at first, as I hadn't really done anything historical, or illustrated a picture book before. But I did a lot of research. I borrowed hundreds of books, visited the National Museum of Scotland and Edinburgh Castle and scoured the internet, looking for armor, clothing, books, art and everyday objects anything I could find from the 12th to the 14th century." Jill Calder 
Jill Calder spent a year illustrating this book by James Robertson published to correspond with the
700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn by Birlinn Books.






No comments:

Post a Comment