Monday 3 February 2014

Sara Cunha I



These character trees by Portuguese illustrator Sara Cunha have bold graphic design. But what I really like about these characters is their shadows. They remind me of a workshop I went to 5 years ago with Italian shadow puppet master Fabrizio Montecchi where he warned of the shadow's habit of mocking you behind your back.
"I love to work with silhouettes and with this technique I like how I can hyde a character behind another and just reveal a part of it through the shadow. It's mysterious and also leaves room for the viewer to construct multiple narratives and to discover the semantics of the shapes.
This can also be a very "theatrical" technique that can be very rich in animation too. It is possible to work and play with many layers, light and shadows." Sara Cunha

1 comment: